Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Magic never grows up

As a small child, I would introduce myself to others as "Belle," as in the Disney Princess.  Now, I don't necessarily remember this, but my grandma and others distinctively do.  I was also the small child who was couldn't sit still when music was playing and had to be dancing in the spotlight.  (Again, according to my grandma, but let's face it, she's probably right.) I wore bows in my hair, matched my American Girl Doll, and loved to play dress up- my favorite was in fact, my Belle dress.  My mom's best friend referred to me, and still does, as "Princess Farren."  My birthday parties were themed after one of the many Disney Princesses and yes, I had plenty of those long, silky, satiny, Disney Princess night gowns.  So maybe I did grow up convinced that I was royal, special, and highly favored just like any other princess.  But so what?

Childhood wasn't always easy either, but who's is?  Like many of the princesses, I had trouble with peers, hated school at times, went through awkward phases, and grew up in a less than "happily ever after" like household. Thankfully, I did grow up with both parents. Some of my favorite memories include spending the weekends with my grandma, watching the latest Disney movies while eating corn dogs and macaroni.  I grew up happy, knowing I was loved, and still, convinced that I was royal, special, and highly favored.

When I was ten, we became members of a great church in a small part of our county.  I quickly learned how to love the Lord and became aware of my love for others and those around me.  I learned that I truly was a princess- a daughter of the King of Kings and the He loved me and scarified his Son so that I really could consider myself as royal, special, and highly favored.  Christ provided my happily ever after and became my eternal knight in shining armor... but that's not the Disney story we all know about.

Disney now has 12 Disney Princess.  Each one different and special with specific, relatable character traits that continue to inspire millions of little girls to fall in love with them and their stories.  Now, I could write hours about each princess in detail but let's be real, I still have papers to grade and the Olympics are on.  So anyway, there's Snow White, the beautiful, highly pitched, but selfless princess.  Aurora, patient and respectful. (She likes to sleep, I like to sleep...) Belle, (the best of them all) who is smart, motivated, and can see past other's flaws to discover their true beauty.  Ariel is independent, creative, but does struggle with her own wants compared to her fathers... but hey, we love the music. (I did a baton routine to under the sea, it was epic.) Cinderella- the dreamer.  She's patient, optimistic and continues to love through her actions, regardless of the life style around her.  Jasmine loves outside of her own world and fights for others.  And then of course there's Mulan, who you know, saves China and fights despite being a woman and putting her entire family in jeopardy.  Pocohantas fights for peace and also finds traits to respect in those who destroy her home.  (This is one is tricky for me since I teach VA history and she's part of the curriculum...) Tiana is motivated and money savvy in order to save for her own restaurant.  Repunzel, my new favorite, is curious and a risk-taker.  She loves someone (her "mother") who only uses her, but is motivated to find answers about herself.  Merida, perhaps one of the most highly favored role models, fights for her own fate and forgiveness.  And then we have the two Frozen girls- Queen Elsa and Princess Anna, the sisters, (do you wanna build a snowman?!) who proves to everyone that an act of love doesn't always involve men and that perseverance and a warm heart and can truly win.

Now, it's so easy to look into these stories and find negative qualities, but overall, what's so wrong with looking up to these princesses as role models?  They're all beautiful (obviously) but they aren't vain.  They're features are actually more plain or quirky than their foes. They're not selfish (don't look into Ariel too much....) and truly bring out the best in others.  (Again, Belle!) In a world where young girls are not looking up to Miley's, models, and once innocent, now CrAzY childhood stars, these princesses haven't changed.  They're qualities maintain consistent and relatable to the world around us in the 90's and the world around us now.  (I can't vouch for life before the 90's... sorry 'bout that.)

So now I'm 23 and I still love princess.  I'm still the Lord's daughter and am royal, special, and highly favored.  My husband dances with in our living room and took me to Disney World for our honeymoon. I proudly wear a princess crown given to me by father-in-law and use a Disney Princess blanket to keep warm during outside recess.  But remember, I'm still an adult.  I am married, pay bills, work a full time job, talk to strangers on the phone, gradated from college, and am responsible for myself and actions.  But, I'm proud of the childlike features I possess.  I relate well to my students and like all of those princess, I fight to find the best in others.  I'm independent but I'm considerate.  I forgive and love.  I'm a dreamer.  I bring out the best in my students and love my husband despite his scruffy days. (Hehe!)  I clean like Cinderella and bake like Tiana. I read like Belle and imagine like Ariel.  I love others like Jasmine and love a goofball like Repunzel loves Flynn.  I'm 23 but I still love Disney.  I love the stories of truth and beauty within the cartoons enjoyed by young kids.  I'm friends with Peter Pan and believe in magic, pixie dust, and am convinced that magic never grows up and that parts of me don't have to either.





       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interested in more?

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS